Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Christian Women on the Verge of a Cosmic Meltdown, Part 1

(An alternate history, or mildly satirical story, for fans of the Man and, hopefully, of Pedro Almodovar. Thank you, Mr. A., for thinking up these timeless women, Christian or otherwise.)

Imagine, if you will, two women concerned not about the men in their lives, though that is important to them, but about the Man in their lives. Though each woman has been actively engaged in a relationship of some sort with this unique man among men, something always seems to elude them. This , then, is the conversation they have one day when they've just found out that, unknown to each other, they had been trying to get to know this one-of-a-kind Man.

Pepa: You know, Candela, you could have told me what your obsession with him was. I always found it unnatural that you spent so many days upset when things didn't go the way you wanted it to go with him.

Candela: Darling Pepa, I didn't know how to tell you about this, um, fixation I had with this man. It truly felt like nothing I had felt before. The odd thing was that it was the first real relationship with a man that didn't involve a physical dimension, though, I soon realized that in some ways, it was more satisfying at times, than the best I had had with past boyfriends.

Pepa: I wanted someone like that more than you can imagine, especially when my last lover left me for his ex-wife's lawyer. Had it not been for that odd girl who lingered in my apartment after she woke up from her long Valium-induced dream, I probably would still be thinking about Juan, or Roman, or, see--how quickly I've forgotten him. Anyway, I'm thankful to Marisa that she told me about her chance encounter with this unique man after her boyfriend, well, your last boyfriend left her.

To be continued--

No comments: