Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Christian Women on the Verge, Part 2

Marisa: What’s wrong Candela? You look awful. You don’t cry easy, so something has affected you more than usual.

Candela: I’ve lost him again, Marisa.
  
Marisa: Him? You mean Carlos?

Candela: El mismo. (The very same.)

Marisa: What happened this time? I hope it’s not the same reason, he found someone he liked more than his current girlfriend?

Candela: I think Carlos is sick. But not anything serious, at least—well, maybe it is serious. I walked into his bedroom, & he was combing his hair. I didn’t make a sound because I wanted to look at him & see how long he combed his hair. Marisa, he never put that brush down. When I saw that he was heading for the door, I hid, so he wouldn’t see me looking at him. But afterwards, he returned & started combing his hair again.

Marisa: Chica, if the guy wants to get that big head of hair done the right way, what is wrong with that. I mean, just how long was he combing it? Twenty minutes?

Candela: It seemed like an hour. Then when he came back, he combed it for what seemed like another hour. So I finally break his fixation & say, “Carlos. This is not like you, combing your hair for such a long length of time. Nobody, especially a man, spends that much time combing his hair?”

Carlos: Ah, but that’s where you’re wrong. I’ve always combed my hair this long. You just weren’t with me when the mood struck me to do it.

Candela: Are you gay?

Carlos: Me? No, I just stutter. (Smile.) Just because I like to look at myself in the mirror while I comb my hair, doesn’t mean I’m gay. Lots of guys like looking at themselves while they’re grooming themselves. If they didn’t they would lose their self-esteem.

Candela: Carlos, I have self -esteem, but you don’t see me standing in front of a mirror for an hour and a half grooming myself. If your hairstyle takes too much time maybe it’s time to just go bald.

Carlos: For you, Candela, I’d go bald. So, now are you happy?

Candela: Well, a little bit, though I hope that bald look catches on. I wouldn’t want others to think I was dating a handsome, but bald guy.

Carlos: I’ll always keep it just a little bit unshaven, so your girlfriends won’t think I’m totally bald.

Candela: Well, maybe I’ll go bald too then we’d be “beautiful” together.

No comments: